Minonk is an Objibwa word meaning “Good Place”.  In addition to being surrounded by some of the best farmland in Illinois, Minonk is home to some of the friendliest people around.  Centrally located on the I-39 corridor, Minonk is a short drive to the campuses of Illinois State University or the excitement of the Peoria River.  We are surrounded by the amenities of several large cities yet have managed to maintain our small town charm.

Blackboard Connect

Show All Answers

1. What is the Blackboard Connect™ service?

The Blackboard Connect™ service allows authorized civic leaders to create and rapidly disseminate time-sensitive messages to every telephone number stored in the notification database. With the Blackboard Connect™ service, authorized users can send thousands of messages in minutes. Only authorized officials are allowed access to the system.

2. How does the service work?

Authorized officials record a voice message that is then delivered quickly to individual phones in the notification database.

3. What types of messages will be sent using the service?

Any message regarding the safety or welfare of our community would be disseminated using the Blackboard Connect™ service.

Examples would include severe weather warnings and updates, hazardous traffic or road conditions inside the town or affecting local routes, and any other situation that could impact the safety, property, or welfare of our citizens.

4. Does the Blackboard Connect™ service replace other systems that have been used to provide time-sensitive information to residents?

This system is a significant enhancement to existing means of communication and is supplemental to, not a replacement for, the systems we have used in the past.

TV, radio and our town web site will continue to broadcast important announcements.

5. Is my telephone number included in the notification database?

It is our intention and hope that every residence and commercial facility in our community be included in the notification database. For businesses, we only store one main phone number. For residents, we may have more than one number that belongs to you in the database. Additionally, you may request to have a secondary number be entered into our database for priority calling.

6. Can I use a cell phone as my notification database listing?

Yes, we can accept cell phones as secondary phone numbers in the database and encourage you to request that your number be included.

7. What precautions are being taken to protect personal information?

Blackboard Connect™™ is a service of The NTI Group, Inc. (NTI). NTI takes security and privacy concerns very seriously and does not sell, trade, lease or loan any data about our clients to any third party. From a technical perspective, we utilize multiple physical and virtual layers of firewalls to maintain data security. NTI only utilizes secure transmissions with its customers. No confidential information is ever transmitted between NTI and its customers using e- mail or FTP, but rather always utilizes either a VPN tunnel or SSL. Data is hosted in state-of-the-art facilities which require photo identification, thumb-print recognition, keyed access, and are manned 24/7 with full-security personnel. All data is encrypted prior to being placed on tape for offsite storage. NTI also retains an external, independent security firm to perform annual security audits.

8. Will there be a way to positively identify incoming calls made by the town using the system?

The caller-ID number for calls generated by the Blackboard Connect™ service will be the same as the Town Office number: (XXX)-XXX-XXXX. In addition, every message will begin with the same standard announcement: “Hello, this is Chief ______ calling with an important message from the Town of _______”. The message content will follow this standard introduction.

9. Will the Blackboard Connect™ service work if I have a call screening system on my phone?

There are several varieties of call screening devices that use differing protocols for screening. In general, the system has been found to work with these devices. However, some may require some type of pre-programming to allow our town’s telephone number to pass through. We may conduct periodic test to assure that messages are being delivered to numbers in the notification database.

10. If I am a non-resident home or condominium owner, what phone should be listed in the notification database?

For non-residents or owners who reside out of our town/city, you may provide an additional phone number to be included in our database to contact during certain situations. In general, calls are sent to the primary number only, but we also have the ability to call multiple numbers for each resident or business when requested by the resident or business. Please contact our town hall office at (XXX)-XXX-XXXX to provide us with that information.

11. If I have provided more than one phone number, when will they be called?

Should a situation arise that requires us to contact you at multiple phone numbers, we can activate the system to place a simultaneous call to all of your numbers. In most cases, we will be sending calls only to one phone number.

12. My primary phone or my second listing is a cell phone with a non-local area code. Will the Blackboard Connect™ service call numbers outside the area?

Yes. The area code does not impact whether or not a call is made.

13. How does the Blackboard Connect™ system respond to busy signals or no-answer situations?

For busy signals, the call will be repeated several times in an attempt to reach you. The same is true for No-answer and Call-waiting. If a message recorder answers the call, the message will be left on the answering device. If, after several attempts the call does not successfully go through, the system will stop attempting to call.

14. I am receiving town notification calls at my fax or my secondary phone line. Can I switch to have the system call my primary phone number?

Yes. Please contact us at (XXX)-XXX-XXXX to change the phone number in our notification database.

15. I was not able to listen to the entire call. Is there a way to repeat the message?

Yes, at the end of the message playback, simply press the star (*) key on your telephone to have it repeated in its entirety.

16. I answer the phone but the “Hello” message repeats. It then hangs up, calls back, and the same thing happens again. How can I hear the entire message?

Repeating or looping of messages happens when the system detects excessive noise in the background, which is caused by loud radio and television volumes, people talking near by, or busy traffic noise. When you receive the next call, say “hello” once and turn down the volume of your radio/television or press the mute button on your telephone to allow full message delivery.

Zoining Information

Show All Answers

1. How do I find out what my property is zoned?

Zoning information can be obtained by calling City Hall at 309-432-2558

Licenses & Permits

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit?

Building permits must be obtained any time a homeowner is building a new structure or adding on to an existing structure on their property. A comprehensive list of permit required items can be found HERE. Permits are not required for routine maintenance or repairs of existing structures or if a structure cost is less than $500.

2. Are dogs required to be licensed?

Yes. Licensing can be accomplished at Woodford County veterinarians or by contacting Woodford County Animal Control.

City Topics

Show All Answers

1. Where is City Hall located?

Minonk City Hall is located at 670 N. Chestnut.

2. How do I locate my property description?

Property Descriptions can be obtained through the Woodford County Assessor in Eureka, Illinois.

3. How do I rent one of the Village's Parks/Fields/Shelters/Community Room?

Certain City facilities can be reserved by calling Bobbie Evans at 309-432-2558

4. Where can I report issues such as potholes, sign damage, inoperable street lights etc…?

Please call City Hall at 309-432-2558 and the issue will be relayed to the Public Works Department.

Garbage & Recycling

Show All Answers

1. What can I do with my yard waste?

The City of Minonk operates a yard waste dump site located at the north end of Oak Street. Only residential yard waste is allowed. Contractors or lawn care providers are not allowed to dump.

2. Who do I contact with a complaint about my garbage service?

All complaints can be directed to City Hall at 309-432-2558 or directly to Titan's Environmental at 815-822-4090

3. When is garbage collected?

Garbage pick-up is normally scheduled on Thursdays. Homeowners are allowed to place large items at the curb on the first Thursday of each month. Some weeks, especially during large holidays, the pick-up day will be moved back to Friday. We will do our best to post this information on the homepage.

4. Why hasn’t my television or other electronic item been picked up from the curb during garbage collection?

Garbage collectors are not allowed to pick up television and other electronic items. Homeowners are responsible for disposal of these items at an authorized location. Electronic items left on the curb for a prolonged period time will result in the issuance of an ordinance violation.

5. Does the City pick up brush?

Yes, the city does schedule brush pick-up on the first consecutive Tuesday and Wednesday of most months. City employees will pick up reasonable amounts of brush if placed at the curbside. Homeowners are asked to ensure that the size of the brush is small enough for one individual to handle easily. The City will not pick up brush left as a result of work performed by a contractor or tree professional. The City does not pick up leaf piles.

Water/Sewer Utility Service

Show All Answers

1. How do I get new water service?

Water service can be turned on by visiting City Hall. Service for a rental property requires a $150 deposit. The first $75 must be paid when requesting water service, with the remaining $75 being paid with the first bill.

2. Who do I call regarding a water leak?

If water is leaking on the city side of the curb shut-off, contact City Hall at 309-432-2558. Water leaks occurring on the residential side of the curb shut-off are the responsibility of the homeowner. The City will be happy to assist repairs to service lines by shutting off water during repair efforts.

3. What do I do if I have a sewer back up?

As with water issues, the City only repairs damage to main line sewers. Homeowners are responsible for any and all service tile issues. The City will be happy to inspect main sewer lines to help determine the cause of back ups.

4. Does the City flush fire hydrants?

Yes. This typically occurs twice each year in April and October. Homeowners may experience discolored water during hydrant flushing. If this occurs, let your water taps run until water is clear.

City Emergencies & Departments

Show All Answers

1. What is the non-emergency Police Department phone number?

The Police Department can be reached at 309-432-2341

2. Can I request an officer check my home/business while on vacation?

The City of Minonk is happy to assist our residents in this manner. Please contact the Police Department at 309-432-2341. A form requesting this service can also be found on this website under the “forms” tab.

City Bills & Payments

Show All Answers

1. Can I pay a citation or other bill online?

At this time we are not set up to collect bills on-line. We are working towards adding that function to this website. Ordinance violations fines can be paid for at City Hall.

2. Why is my water bill so high?

Interior water leaks, especially leaking toilets, can consume a considerable amount of water. A leaking toilet can consume several hundred gallons of water depending on the severity of the leak. City employees will be happy to help dye test inside of a home at the request of the homeowner to help identify leaks. Leak repairs however are the responsibility of the homeowner.

City Animal Care

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact regarding stray animals?

Please contact City Hall or the Police Department. Our employees do not pick-up wild animals or cats. Impounded dogs require payment of $50 for the first offense before owners are allowed to retrieve them from the Police Department.


Show All Answers

1. What are City Hall Business Hours

City hall is generally open from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday.